It Happened Today

“Don't wish me happiness
I don't expect to be happy all the time...
It's gotten beyond that somehow.
Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor.
I will need them all.”
Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea


Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Olympics Effect

Our family and most of our fiends are Olympics obsessed, or maybe I am Olympics obsessed and I am making it up about the rest just for validation. Whichever is the actual truth it seems that I am not alone. Everywhere I look there is Olympics news.

What does being Olympics obsessed offer:
1. An excuse to sit inside on a beautiful day and watch TV
2. An excuse to take Couch Potato to Olympic levels - so far I am in the money for the Gold Medal for time spent potatoing on my couch. I promise to cry when they play the National Anthem.
3. An excuse to go out and get all amped up to exercise (during the local news so you don't get any spoilers). For me it's swimming laps - in my mind I am swimming just like Missy Franklin or Katie Ledecky, in reality I am pooped after two lengths.
4. An excuse to let your children watch as much TV as they want with no consequences - "Oh you're watching the Olympics, and not Jersey Shore, excellent."
5. An excuse to, while watching the Olympic swimmers compete in any race, lean over to your son/daughter who are swimmers and say, "If you apply yourself a little more maybe you could compete in the Olympics one day."
6. An excuse to feel a kinship to the parents of Olympic athletes who are televised showing the emotional roller coaster every parent feels when their child competes in anything - even the friendly game of catch in the backyard.
7. An excuse to, when it's all over, realize that you ignored your dog, neighbors, emails, bills and life in general to watch some patriotic and global magic and it was worth every second.

Going for the Gold,
Magda

No comments:

Post a Comment