It Happened Today

“Don't wish me happiness
I don't expect to be happy all the time...
It's gotten beyond that somehow.
Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor.
I will need them all.”
Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea


Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Forever Young

Every day I look forward to reading the comic strip ZITS by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman. The main character in this amusing snapshot of life with teenagers is Jeremy Duncan, a 16 year old high school freshman who is a good kid, intelligent, and kind. Yet, he still has an attitude one would expect from a teenager whose monosyllabic answers and crazy ideas of how life works befuddles his poor parents. The website tells us that the authors are parents themselves and they draw upon their own experiences. I am convinced they have some secret James Bond like camera connected to my house.



In the past I have shared some of the experiences we have in our house full of teenagers, much to the chagrin of the teenagers we have in our house. I am thankful that Zits exists because it makes me feel normal. The comic is meant to be funny and give insight on the crazy hormonally challenged emotional lives of teenagers. It also gives a snap shot of us struggling parents who try to make sense of this "phase" of our children's lives as we try to impart some life lessons, all the while keeping our own sense of life (and humor) intact.

Recently I have had parents of younger children, who are coached by my older children, come up to me and say, "We just love your children, we hope our kids grow up to be like them." I smile and say "Thank You" but what I really want to say is, "Would you like to take one home?" Or "I'll Trade you, your three for mine." Of course I would never trade my children in, as tempting as it seems. Who would I fight with over the importance of a made bed in the morning?

Thanks to Erma Bombeck we are told not to sweat the small stuff. I have tried. I know much of what I sweat over with my kids is small stuff but for some reason I feel as if I am imparting some big picture wisdom on them with the small stuff and many times I have failed to get the message across to them. I know life does not work this way but some times I get so caught up in every day life I seem to miss the big picture myself.

Bob Dylan wrote a beautiful song titled, "Forever Young". In case you are unfamiliar with this song (and it's not the Rod Stewart Version) I am giving the lyrics below. Bob Dylan's words are as truthful to what I want for my children as any words I have ever heard/seen. I try to tell them these things but we have hit the teenage years where they know everything and we, their parents, know nothing.

If  I could get my kids to listen to me I would say, "Every time we disagree always remember these are my wishes for you."
Forever Young
Lyrics by Bob Dylan

May God bless and keep you always
may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others
and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous
may you grow up to be true.
May you always know the truth
and see the light inside of you.
May you always be courageous
stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young.

May your hands always be busy
may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation
when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful
and may your song always be sung.
May you stay Forever Young.
May you Stay Forever Young

And may you do so with clean teeth and clothes (especially underwear) and a well made bed.

Magda
(or in this case, Mom)

My favorite audio version of this song is sung by Audra Mae and the Forest Rangers - no offense to Bob Dylan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaPEe4EwTEU&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment