It Happened Today

“Don't wish me happiness
I don't expect to be happy all the time...
It's gotten beyond that somehow.
Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor.
I will need them all.”
Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea


Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Forty Days of Smiles

Today, February 21st, marks the day that humorist Erma Bombeck was born.  This year February 21st is Fat/Shrove Tuesday.  Coincidence? Probably yes, but for me it is more like Divine Intervention. Yes, the idea seems crazy and silly - well maybe yes but then again maybe no.

In my faith for the next forty days I should be giving something up to show my understanding of the sacrifices made for me. I always fail miserably at the giving up part which just makes me feel really bad during this time of reflection.  I end up reflecting on what a big failure I am because I cannot go 40 days without cookies, chocolate, candy, or yelling at my kids! Some years ago I changed my tactic and decided I would spend forty days giving to others rather than giving up something for myself.

At church this Sunday I was reminded of being open to give of yourself rather than restricting yourself. I have always believed God has a keen sense of humor - this explains a lot of things if you think about it and if you just open yourself up to looking at things differently. Since I try to find humor in most things in life, for the next 40days I plan on trying to do things that make people smile and maybe even laugh. I plan on just plain smiling at a lot of people.

Erma Bombeck once wrote, " When I stand before God at the end of my life I would hope that I would not have a single talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'." Personally, I am not sure what all my talents are and if I am using them all the time.  I do know that I am a talented smiler.  I love to smile and usually smile at times that are appropriate and even some inappropriate times, the awkward gift of the nervous smile.

My hope is that for the next forty days I can make other people smile by sharing my smile with others. The possibilities of success are endless and I can not think of a better way to celebrate the life of those who make and have made us smile and most of all to honor the One who gave us our talents.

Peace begins with a smile,
Magda

1 comment:

  1. You're off to a great start!!! I now have a VERY big smile on my face. Happy Fat Tuesday to you my dear!

    ReplyDelete