It Happened Today

“Don't wish me happiness
I don't expect to be happy all the time...
It's gotten beyond that somehow.
Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor.
I will need them all.”
Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea


Monday, February 6, 2012

My Mind Forgets to Remind Me


Recently I have become a big fan of country music, a phenomenon I owe to two of my children.  I am a music lover in general. I am most obsessed with lyrics and thoroughly enjoy the single lines in songs that smack me in the head with reality - my reality not the lyricists.

Case in point from a popular Taylor Swift song in which she sings, “My mind forgets to remind me you’re a bad idea”. Now I know she is singing about love and some boy but I like to put my “mature woman” twist on the meaning. 

For me I sing this line every time I indulge in one too many cookies, pieces of cake, cupcakes and/or glasses of something alcoholic; like the third chocolate martini I drank last night at my friend’s super bowl party.

Another example is the aptly titled “Storm Warning”, by cuter than a button Hunter Hayes. The line in the song goes, “I’m gonna wish I had a storm warning, gonna wish I had a sign.” Well, this is a daily wish for me. I wish I knew when one of my kids was going to be in one of their moods, or my husband has had a bad day, or the dog…well you get the picture.  Just a little sign and I would head in the other direction.

And then there is my favorite, Zac Brown Band, whose new song, “Keep Me in Mind”, has a great line in the opening. “Life’s to easy to be so damn complicated.” I love this line and try to apply it to everything. And if I am successful my mind won’t forget to remind me and if it does I hope I get a warning before the next storm so I can get out of the way, "Like a Bat Out of Hell".

Thanks for reading!
Magda

No comments:

Post a Comment