It Happened Today

“Don't wish me happiness
I don't expect to be happy all the time...
It's gotten beyond that somehow.
Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor.
I will need them all.”
Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea


Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Balance



The buzz word of the moment seems to be balance. Everyone is talking about it, looking for it, and hoping to achieve it. I spent most of the past year hoping to find it. Elizabeth Gilbert wrote a whole book, Eat, Pray, Love, about a quest to find it. (Personally I could not get past Pray) There were times I felt I found it and times I felt it was gone forever.

I have realized balance is fleeting. Think of the gymnast on the balance beam. The "beam" is only 3.9 inches wide, it is arguably the hardest event in Olympic gymnastics, the maximum time allowed for a balance beam routine is 1 minute and 30 seconds, and the event is only performed by women. Coincidence? I think not.

Balance is temporary. Balance is evolving, Balance is individual. Balance is a myth. Many claim to have "balance" but once you figure out that balance is a myth, you can stop all that stressful striving for it. This theory may sound pessimistic but it is not meant to be - it is meant to be freeing. As unpredictable as life is you may feel in "balance" for about 1 minute, 1 hour, or if you are lucky maybe even for 1 day - but then something can come along and shake your center and possibly knock you off your beam.

The trick is getting back on and finishing your routine. Every now and then you might achieve a perfect 10.....

No comments:

Post a Comment