It Happened Today

“Don't wish me happiness
I don't expect to be happy all the time...
It's gotten beyond that somehow.
Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor.
I will need them all.”
Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea


Thursday, June 7, 2012

If Everyone Jumped Off a Bridge

Did you grow up in a house where your mother or father used the phrase, "Well if everyone jumped off (Insert name of local bridge) would you follow them?" In our house it was my mom's way of saying, "Do you really always need to be a follower, stand up and think for yourself!"

This is one of those phrases I have repeated to my own children. I am certain a younger version of myself swore to never repeat it but my older self realizes the value of the lesson. I have to admit I still use it to check my own choices.

My most recent jumping off a bridge experience has to do with the little known (Ha!) book, "Fifty Shades of Grey." Just about everyone is reading this book, or has read it, or is planning on reading it. Everyone it seems but me.  For some reason I have no interest. I know it's steamy and naughty and if I want to be a part of conversations I should read it but I want to start a different conversation. My disinterest in the book is a gut feeling I have because I really didn't know that much about the story line - and I think I am using that term loosely.

I am usually one to jump off the bridge, metaphorically speaking of course, and not only when I was younger - In my adult life I bought beanie babies, stood in line for Harry Potter books and movies, have waited in lines and payed $2.75 for a cupcake and have wasted far too much time watching silly You Tube videos of people singing "Call Me Maybe."

But I cannot bring myself to read this book.  I am not adverse to reading steamy novels but I read a review that made me believe the relationship between the young reporter and Mr, Grey was obsessive, possessive and unhealthy. Who needs to read about that? So I am listening to my gut feeling along with my mother's voice inside my head and walking right past the bridge.

Feeling brave enough to join me?
Magda



No comments:

Post a Comment