It Happened Today

“Don't wish me happiness
I don't expect to be happy all the time...
It's gotten beyond that somehow.
Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor.
I will need them all.”
Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea


Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Looking Back With Feet Pointed Forward

New Years Eve. Three words that drum up all sorts of images and emotions. Champagne. Parties. Friends. Family. Reflections. Remembrances. Regrets. New Beginnings. Balls Dropping. Fireworks. Sadness. Gladness. Auld Lang Syne. And many more.

This year it's been a day of reflection.

January 2013 feels like a long time ago.  The year has been been a busy one of which a lot was accomplished and a lot was left to be done. Not one to make New Year's Resolutions beyond trying to take advantage of every day and being a better person - truly this is not a stock Miss America answer for me - I have to laugh at all the things I know I did not get to in 2013. I did not eat more super foods, read more books, watch less TV, exercise more, eat fewer sweets, write more, paint any pieces of furniture, or knock anything off a bucket list (that I really don't have anyway so that's okay), the list of "not dones" is endless.

2013 was a year when our family lost a very good friend. Suddenly gone. The loss of this friend made all the things that didn't get done seem inconsequential. The song Auld Lang Syne, a Scottish song whose title translates to "times gone by" is about remembering friends from the past and not letting them be forgotten.  This sentiment is an incredibly strong one this year.

My mother used to tell us to keep our feet pointed forward. The past is gone and the future unwritten. It is on the strength of friends and family passed and present that I find the strength to do as my mother said. It is with this in mind that the path towards 2014 is paved. Feet pointed forward while not forgetting. 2014 may be another year of bad eating and too much Real Housewives but it will also be a year full of gratitude for each day and being mindful to remember.

Happy New Year to all of you and yours.

Peace.
Magda

No comments:

Post a Comment