It Happened Today

“Don't wish me happiness
I don't expect to be happy all the time...
It's gotten beyond that somehow.
Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor.
I will need them all.”
Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea


Sunday, February 3, 2013

Happy Birthday Norman Rockwell

Today would have been Norman Rockwell's 119th Birthday. Now it's probable that Norman Rockwell would not have wanted to live to be 119 Years old but I believe it to be true that his spirit has never died.

Norman Rockwell portrayed life with affection and good humor. Many times I find myself saying, "Now that is a Norman Rockwell moment."  Thanks to the iPhone I try to capture these moments whenever I can.

In Norman Rockwell's own words he "Never used a professional model." He captured every day life with every day people. He captured life's wonderfully funny moments and traditions. He captured important social issues of his time. I often wonder what would he capture in this new century. Life seemed so simple in his pictures. Is it still?


Norman Rockwell was brave enough to paint Ruby Bridges. Would he take on issues such as immigration or gun control? I wish he were around to answer this question. His quaint pictures were thought provoking. Simple but powerful messages.

Here are some links for more information on Normal Rockwell:
/http://www.biography.com/people/norman-rockwell-37249
http://www.nrm.org/

Thank you Mr. Rockwell. I wish you had more time to paint all the pictures you wanted to paint.



Magda



No comments:

Post a Comment