It Happened Today

“Don't wish me happiness
I don't expect to be happy all the time...
It's gotten beyond that somehow.
Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor.
I will need them all.”
Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift from the Sea


Sunday, April 29, 2012

Eat Dessert First

I have one of those embroidered pillows at my house (I believe this dates me) that is one of my favorite things. On it is the simple message "Life is Uncertain, Eat Dessert First". I am one of those people who lives this to the fullest. Always looking for immediate gratification, always using the good things in my life, always thinking about today and leaving tomorrow for tomorrow. Think Holly Golightly in "Breakfast at Tiffany's."

Do I believe this to be the best course of action? Sometimes yes and sometimes no.  I do believe this philosophy of life is a reaction to the events of a person's life plus their basic disposition. In general it is probably healthier when balanced with reality or the opposite pillow which would probably read, "Life is Long, Prepare for the Journey."

That being said there are times when it makes sense to go for the gusto and not wait for the rainy day.

Here are a few:
1. If you have lump crab meat and back fin crab meat in your fridge use them both equally. Don't save the lump meat for later. One it will spoil and two you are worth the good stuff. I think this goes equal for the good wine, champagne, china, silver, etc.. Spoil Yourself because no one else will.

2. Make your house as wonderful as you would if you were trying to sell it to someone else. What are you waiting for? Live in the best surroundings you can afford.

3. Reach out to your friends or spend time alone - do the things that matter to you now. It's not being selfish. If we take care of ourselves we can give more to those around us.

4. Do what you love and love what you do. Don't be afraid of change, to try something new, to follow through with an idea or a hunch. Let go of things that run their course.

4. And please eat dessert first sometimes. You won't spoil anything.

"After all, tomorrow is another day."
Magda

No comments:

Post a Comment